News Center: Cancer News
The Exceptional Responders Initiative, a study to investigate the molecular factors of tumors associated with exceptional treatment responses of cancer patients to drug therapies, was launched today by NCI. Scientists will attempt to identify the molecular features of tumors that predict whether or not a particular drug or class of drugs will be beneficial.
NIH announces the launch of 3 integrated precision medicine trials; ALCHEMIST is for patients with certain types of early-stage lung cancerAugust 18, 2014
The Adjuvant Lung Cancer Enrichment Marker Identification and Sequencing Trials, or ALCHEMIST, will identify early-stage lung cancer patients with tumors that harbor certain uncommon genetic changes and evaluate whether drug treatments targeted against those changes can lead to improved survival.
NIH study finds negative HPV screening test result is a better predictor of low cervical cancer risk than a negative Pap testJuly 18, 2014
Based on a study that included more than 1 million women, investigators at NCI have determined that a negative test for HPV infection compared to a negative Pap test provides greater safety, or assurance, against future risk of cervical cancer.
Study identifies novel genomic changes in the most common type of lung cancer; TCGA finds mutations in a key cancer-causing pathway, expanding targets for existing drugsJuly 9, 2014
A drug used for treating breast cancer, known as exemestane, is more effective than a common breast cancer prevention drug, tamoxifen, in preventing breast cancer recurrence in young women who also receive post-surgical treatment to suppress ovarian function. The combined results of the Tamoxifen and Exemestane Trial and Suppression of Ovarian Function Trial were presented at the 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago.
The Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, covering the period 1975–2010, showed death rates for lung cancer, which accounts for more than one in four cancer deaths, dropping at a faster pace than in previous years.
- Recipients of Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership AwardsNovember 12, 2014
- TCGA study improves understanding of genetic drivers of thyroid cancerOctober 23, 2014
- Trial results show high remission rate in leukemia following immune cell therapyOctober 12, 2014
- NCI scientists awarded National Medal of Technology and Innovation October 7, 2014
Obtaining NCI designation for a cancer center is usually a years-long process of building — facilities, faculty, and most importantly, a research portfolio — culminated by a rigorous review process. Selection provides recognition of research excellence.
- TopBP1 a sweet spot for treatment in multiple cancersNovember 18, 2014
- A noncoding RNA promotes pediatric bone cancerNovember 18, 2014
- Genetic-based tool to detect circulating cancer cells in bloodNovember 18, 2014
- Possible oral drug combo for newly diagnosed multiple myelomaNovember 18, 2014