News Center: Cancer News
NIH announces the launch of 3 integrated precision medicine trials; ALCHEMIST is for patients with certain types of early-stage lung cancerAugust 18, 2014
The Adjuvant Lung Cancer Enrichment Marker Identification and Sequencing Trials, or ALCHEMIST, will identify early-stage lung cancer patients with tumors that harbor certain uncommon genetic changes and evaluate whether drug treatments targeted against those changes can lead to improved survival.
NIH study finds negative HPV screening test result is a better predictor of low cervical cancer risk than a negative Pap testJuly 18, 2014
Based on a study that included more than 1 million women, investigators at NCI have determined that a negative test for HPV infection compared to a negative Pap test provides greater safety, or assurance, against future risk of cervical cancer.
Study identifies novel genomic changes in the most common type of lung cancer; TCGA finds mutations in a key cancer-causing pathway, expanding targets for existing drugsJuly 9, 2014
A drug used for treating breast cancer, known as exemestane, is more effective than a common breast cancer prevention drug, tamoxifen, in preventing breast cancer recurrence in young women who also receive post-surgical treatment to suppress ovarian function. The combined results of the Tamoxifen and Exemestane Trial and Suppression of Ovarian Function Trial were presented at the 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago.
NCI is launching a new clinical trials research network intended to improve treatment for the more than 1.6 million Americans diagnosed with cancer each year. The new system, NCI’s National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN), will facilitate the rapid initiation and completion of cancer clinical trials at over 3,000 clinical trials sites.
The Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, covering the period 1975–2010, showed death rates for lung cancer, which accounts for more than one in four cancer deaths, dropping at a faster pace than in previous years.
- Rare kidney tumor provides insight on metabolic changes August 21, 2014
- NIH announces the launch of 3 integrated precision medicine trials: ALCHEMIST August 18, 2014
- The benefits of looking across many cancer genomesSeptember 27, 2013
- Mechanism for the activation of glutamate receptorsAugust 4, 2014
Obtaining NCI designation for a cancer center is usually a years-long process of building — facilities, faculty, and most importantly, a research portfolio — culminated by a rigorous review process. Selection provides recognition of research excellence.
- Nanoparticles could provide application to diagnose, treat cancerAugust 27, 2014
- Researchers find that cancer leaves a common fingerprint on DNAAugust 27, 2014
- In worm study, scientists find navigation system for cancer cellsAugust 26, 2014
- Biomarker in aggressive breast cancer identifiedAugust 25, 2014