Symptom Management and Health-Related Quality of Life Steering Committee
The Symptom Management and Health-Related Quality of Life (SxQOL) Steering Committee (SC) was established in April 2006. The core committee membership includes representatives from the NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP) Research Bases, R01 investigators, community oncologists, biostatisticians, patient advocates and NCI Staff.
Roles of the Committee
- Evaluate and prioritize symptom management intervention clinical trial concepts to be conducted through the NCORP mechanism;
- Provide input to studies with secondary quality-of-life (QOL) endpoints in NCTN Group treatment studies;
- Develop criteria for concepts that are eligible for proposed Biomarker, Imaging, and Quality of Life Studies Funding Program (BIQSFP) funds.
- Convene Clinical Trial Planning Meetings (CTPM) to identify critical questions and prioritize key strategies related to side effects of cancer, cancer treatment and patients’ quality of life.
Clinical Trials Planning Meetings (CTPMs)
- Building Bridges: The Identification of Core Symptoms and Health Related Quality of Life (HRQOL) Domains for use in Cancer Research - September 2011
- Executive Summary
- Recommended Patient-Reported Core Set of Symptoms to Measure in Adult Cancer Treatment Trials - (2014)
- Recommended Patient-Reported Core Set of Symptoms and Quality-of-Life Domains to Measure in Ovarian Cancer Treatment Trials - (2014)
- Recommended Patient-Reported Core Set of Symptoms to Measure in Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Trials - (2014)
- Recommended Patient-Reported Core Set of Symptoms to Measure in Prostate Cancer Treatment Trials - (2014)
- Core Symptoms Measures in Cancer Clinical Trials - (2014)
- Cancer-Related Fatigue – April 2010
- Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy – March 2009
Videos and Webinars
- Best Practices for Integrating Patient Reported Outcomes in Oncology Clinical Trials
- Symptom Management & Quality of Life Concept Design
The following are clinical trials that were approved at the concept stage by the Steering Committee.
|Trial ID||NCT ID||Trial Title|
|NCCTG-N08C3||NCT00880191||Phase III Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Study of Gabapentin for the Treatment of Delayed CINV (Chemotherapy Induced Nausea and Vomiting) in Patients Receiving Highly or Moderately Emetogenic Chemotherapy|
|NCCTG-N08C7||NCT00956813||Phase III, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-Blind Trial of Flaxseed for the Treatment of Hot Flashes|
|WFU-08-08-08||NCT00994279||Yoga during Breast Cancer Treatment: Establishing Community-Based Partnerships|
|HLMCC-0806||NCT01009918||Phase II Placebo-controlled Trial of Lisinopril and Coreg CR to Reduce Cardiotoxicity in Patients with Breast Cancer Receiving (neo)Adjuvant Chemotherapy with Trastuzumab (Herceptin)|
|NCCTG-N08CB||NCT01099449||A Phase III Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Study of Intravenous Calcium/Magnesium in Two Different Versions to Prevent Oxaliplatin-Induced Sensory Neurotoxicity|
|WFU-08-03-06||NCT01032200||Phase II Randomized Placebo Controlled Study of Armodafinil on Fatigue in Brain Tumor Patients Receiving Brain Radiation Therapy|
|WFU-08-08-09||NCT01105130||A Randomized Phase II Dose Finding Study of ArginMax with or without Phosphodiesterase-5 Inhibitors for Its Effect on Erectile Function and Quality of Life in Survivors of Prostate Cancer Previously Treated with Radiotherapy|
CCCT Contact: Susan Rossi, Ph.D., M.P.H.