NOTE: The information in this summary is no longer being updated and is provided for reference purposes only.
- The Gerson therapy is a complex regimen that has been used to treat people with cancer and other diseases (see Question 1).
- The key parts of the Gerson therapy are a strict diet, dietary supplements, and enemas (see Question 1).
- The theory is that disease can be cured by removing toxins from the body, boosting the immune system, and replacing excess salt in the body's cells with potassium (see Question 3).
- The Gerson therapy requires that the many details of its treatment plan be followed exactly (see Question 4).
- Few clinical studies of the Gerson therapy have been published (see Question 6).
- Taking too many enemas of any kind can be harmful (see Question 7)
- The US Food and Drug Administration has not approved the Gerson therapy for the treatment of cancer or other diseases (see Question 8).
- Cancer patients should talk with their health care providers about an appropriate diet to follow (see Question 8).