Cellular Classification of Colon Cancer
Histologic types of colon cancer include the following:
- Adenocarcinoma (most colon cancers).
- Mucinous (colloid) adenocarcinoma.
- Signet ring adenocarcinoma.
- Scirrhous tumors.
- Neuroendocrine. Tumors with neuroendocrine differentiation typically have a poorer prognosis than pure adenocarcinoma variants.
- Saclarides TJ, Szeluga D, Staren ED: Neuroendocrine cancers of the colon and rectum. Results of a ten-year experience. Dis Colon Rectum 37 (7): 635-42, 1994. [PUBMED Abstract]