Cladribine, Idarubicin, Cytarabine, and Venetoclax in Treating Patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia, High-Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome, or Blastic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Patients with a diagnosis of AML, acute biphenotypic leukemia, or high risk MDS (>= 10% blasts or International Prognostic Scoring System [IPSS] >= intermediate-2) will be eligible; patients with CML in myeloid blast phase are also eligible
- For frontline cohorts (1 or 4): no prior potentially curative therapy for leukemia; prior therapy with hydroxyurea, hematopoietic growth factors, azacytidine, decitabine, tretinoin (ATRA), or a total dose of cytarabine up to 2 g (for emergency use for stabilization) is allowed; patients deemed able to receive venetoclax (ie. insurance clearance) will be assigned to frontline cohort 4; patients with secondary AML who have been treated for their antecedent myeloid neoplasm will be enrolled into the separate secondary AML cohort
- For salvage cohort: patients with previously treated, relapsed or refractory AML, acute biphenotypic leukemia, or CML in myeloid blast phase are eligible
- Bilirubin =< 2 mg/dL
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and/or alanine aminotransferase (ALT) =< 3 x upper limit of normal (ULN) or < 5 x ULN if related to leukemic involvement
- Creatinine =<1.5 x ULN
- Known cardiac ejection fraction of >= 45% within the past 6 months
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of =< 2
- A negative urine pregnancy test is required within 1 week for all women of childbearing potential prior to enrolling on this trial
- Patient must have the ability to understand the requirements of the study and signed informed consent a signed informed consent by the patient or his legally authorized representative is required prior to their enrollment on the protocol
- Pregnant women are excluded from this study; breastfeeding should also be avoided
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to active uncontrolled infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure (New York Heart Association [NYHA] class III or IV), unstable angina pectoris, clinically significant cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements
- Patient with documented hypersensitivity to any of the components of the chemotherapy program
- Men and women of childbearing potential who do not practice contraception; women of childbearing potential and men must agree to use contraception prior to study entry and for the duration of study participation
I. To determine the complete response rate (CR) of cladribine in combination with idarubicin and cytarabine (araC) in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), high risk (HR) myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), or myeloid blast phase of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML).
I. To determine the overall response rate (ORR) of cladribine in combination with idarubicin and araC in patients with AML, HR MDS, or myeloid blast phase of CML.
II. To assess overall survival (OS) and event free survival (EFS) of patients treated with cladribine, idarubicin, and araC (cytarabine).
III. To assess the duration of response to the combination in patients with AML, HR MDS, or myeloid blast phase of CML.
IV. To determine the safety and tolerability of the combination in patients with AML, HR MDS, or myeloid blast phase of CML.
I. To study and describe the relationship between pretreatment patient/disease characteristics (including AML-associated molecular abnormalities) and outcome.
II. To identify molecular biomarkers predictive of response to therapy.
III. To study and describe the relationship between patient/disease characteristics, use of intrathecal prophylaxis, and incidence of leptomeningeal disease.
INDUCTION: Patients receive cladribine intravenously (IV) and cytarabine IV over 1-2 hours on days 1-5 and idarubicin IV over 30-60 minutes on days 1-3. Patients with untreated AML and MDS also receive venetoclax orally (PO) on days 2-8. AML patients with known FLT3-ITD or FLT3 kinase domain mutations may receive midostaurin PO twice daily (BID) on days 6-19 or gilteritinib PO once daily (QD) on days 1-14. Treatment repeats every 28 days for up to 2 cycles in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
CONSOLIDATION: Patients receive cladribine IV and cytarabine IV over 1-2 hours on days 1-3 and idarubicin IV over 30-60 minutes on days 1-2. Patients with untreated AML and MDS also receive venetoclax PO on days 2-8. AML patients with known FLT3-ITD or FLT3 kinase domain mutations may receive midostaurin PO BID on days 6-19 or gilteritinib PO QD. Treatment repeats every 28 days for up to 5 cycles in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up every 6-12 months.
Trial Phase Phase II
Trial Type Treatment
M D Anderson Cancer Center
Tapan M. Kadia
- Primary ID 2012-0648
- Secondary IDs NCI-2014-01103
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT02115295