Aspirin and Rintatolimod with or without Interferon-alpha 2b in Treating Patients with Prostate Cancer Before Surgery
- Histologically confirmed, localized prostate adenocarcinoma patients who are planning to have a radical prostatectomy.
- Diagnostic prostate biopsy must have been obtained within 12 months prior to study arm randomization.
- Have an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0 or 1.
- Platelet >= 75,000/uL.
- Hemoglobin >= 9 g/dL.
- Hematocrit >= 27%.
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) >= 1500/uL.
- Creatinine < institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) OR creatinine clearance >= 50 mL/min for patients with creatinine levels greater than ULN.
- Total bilirubin =< 1.5 X institutional ULN.
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase [SGOT]) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase [SGPT]) =< 1.5 X institutional ULN.
- Serum amylase and lipase =< 1.5 X institutional ULN.
- Participant or legal representative must understand the investigational nature of this study and sign an Independent Ethics Committee/Institutional Review Board approved written informed consent form prior to receiving any study related procedure.
- Patients currently treated with systemic immunosuppressive agents, including steroids, are ineligible until 3 weeks after removal from immunosuppressive treatment.
- Patients who received hormonal therapy, 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (such as finasteride, dutasteride), chemotherapy, radiotherapy, major surgery, or biologic therapy within 3 weeks of protocol treatment.
- Patients with active prostatitis.
- Patients with active autoimmune disease or history of transplantation.
- Patients with comorbid medical conditions that render them unfit for surgery.
- Metastatic disease based on preoperative imaging.
- Cardiac risk factors including: * Patients experiencing cardiac event(s) (acute coronary syndrome, myocardial infarction, or ischemia) within 3 months of signing consent * Patients with a New York Heart Association classification of III or IV.
- History of upper and lower gastrointestinal ulceration, bleeding, or perforation within the past 3 years.
- History of bleeding disorders, known lesions at risk for bleeding, or history of recent clinically significant bleed or hemorrhage (< 3 months).
- Prior allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to aspirin, or other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Patients are ineligible if they plan on use of other NSAIDs at any dose during the trial. Patients who agree to stop regular NSAIDs are eligible and no wash out period is required.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Unwilling or unable to follow protocol requirements.
- Any condition which in the investigator’s opinion deems the participant an unsuitable candidate to receive study drug.
I. Assess the immunomodulatory effectiveness of the combination of rintatolimod and aspirin with or without recombinant interferon alfa-2b (interferon [IFN]-alpha), in participants with localized prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy.
I. Assess the safety and toxicity of the treatment combinations in participants with localized prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy.
II. Assess the antitumor activity between treatment arms.
I. Compare the resected tumor tissue specimen and surrounding tissue samples of both study arms (pre versus [vs] post-chemokine modulatory [CKM] treatment, with vs without CKM, CKM doublet vs CKM triplet) with regards to infiltrating T cell subtypes, effector T cell (Teff)/regulatory T cell (Treg) ratios, CD11b+ myeloid-derived suppressor cell (MDSC); the expression of chemokine receptors and immune checkpoint molecules on immune cells; local expression of Teff-attracting chemokines and Treg/MDSC-favoring chemokines; ribonucleic acid (RNA) signatures of groups of immune-regulatory genes that are modulated by the CKM regimen.
OUTLINE: Patients are randomized to 1 of 3 arms.
ARM I: Patients receive aspirin orally (PO) twice daily (BID) from day -7 to 7 days prior to surgery. Patients also receive recombinant interferon alfa-2b intravenously (IV) over 20 minutes and rintatolimod IV over 2 hours on days 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10 in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients then undergo radical prostatectomy on day 17.
ARM II: Patients receive aspirin PO BID from day -7 to 7 days prior to surgery and rintatolimod IV over 2 hours on days 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10 in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients then undergo radical prostatectomy on day 17.
ARM III: Patients undergo radical prostatectomy about 4 weeks after enrollment.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up at 30 days.
Trial Phase Phase II
Trial Type Treatment
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Gurkamal S. Chatta
- Primary ID I 77318
- Secondary IDs NCI-2019-01192
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT03899987