Stages of Carcinoma of Unknown Primary
Key Points for This Section
Doctors use the following types of information to plan treatment:
- The place in the body where the cancer is found, such as the peritoneum or the cervical (neck), axillary (armpit), or inguinal (groin) lymph nodes.
- The type of cancer cell, such as melanoma.
- Whether the cancer cell is poorly differentiated (looks very different from normal cells when viewed under a microscope).
- The signs and symptoms caused by the cancer.
- The results of tests and procedures.
- Whether the cancer is newly diagnosed or has recurred (come back).