Study of Carfilzomib in Combination With Induction Chemotherapy in Children With Relapsed or Refractory Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Trial Status: Active
The purpose of the study is to determine the maximum tolerated dose and assess the safety, tolerability and activity of carfilzomib, alone and in combination with induction chemotherapy, in children with relapsed or refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Age 21 years or younger at the time of initial ALL diagnosis and age > 1 year at the time of study treatment initiation.
- Subjects must have a diagnosis of relapsed or refractory ALL with ≥ 5% blasts in the bone marrow (M2 or M3 disease), with or without extramedullary disease. -To be eligible, subjects must have had 1 or more prior therapeutic attempts, defined as:
- Early first relapse (< 36 months from original diagnosis) after achieving a CR (B-ALL) or first relapse any time following the original diagnosis after achieving a CR (T-ALL)
- First refractory bone marrow relapse occurring any time after original diagnosis after achieving a CR (ie, ≥1 failed attempt to induce a second remission) OR
- Relapse after achieving a CR following the first or subsequent relapse (i.e., ≥ 2 relapses) OR
- Failing to achieve a CR from original diagnosis after at least 1 induction attempt
- Subjects must have fully recovered from the acute toxic effects of all previous chemotherapy, immunotherapy, or radiotherapy treatment before enrollment.
- Subjects must have a serum creatinine level that is ≤ 1.5 × institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) according to age. If serum creatinine level is > 1.5 × ULN, the subject must have a calculated creatinine clearance or radioisotope glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ≥ 70 mL/min/1.73 m2.
- Adequate liver function, defined as both of the following:
- Total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 × institutional ULN except in the presence of Gilbert Syndrome
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) ≤ 5 × institutional ULN
- Performance status: Karnofsky or Lansky scores ≥ 50 for subjects > 16 years old or ≤ 16 years old, respectively.
- Known allergy to any of the drugs used in the study (Subjects who have had a previous allergy to PEG-asparaginase and if able, may receive Erwinia asparaginase at the investigator's discretion)
- Known allergy to Captisol (a cyclodextrin derivative used to solubilize carfilzomib)
- Left ventricular fractional shortening < 30%
- History of ≥ Grade 2 pancreatitis
- Active graft‑versus‑host disease requiring systemic treatment
- Positive culture for or other clinical evidence of infection with bacteria or fungus within 14 days of the initiation of study treatment
- Down Syndrome
- Prior therapy restrictions:
- Subjects must have completed therapy with granulocyte‑colony stimulating factor (G‑CSF) or other myeloid growth factors at least 7 days before study treatment initiation, or at least 14 days before study treatment initiation, if pegylated myeloid growth factors were administered.
- Subjects must have completed any type of active immunotherapy (e.g., tumor vaccines) at least 42 days before study treatment initiation.
- Subjects must have received the last dose of a non-monoclonal antibody biologic agent at least 7 days before study treatment initiation.
- At least 3 antibody half‑lives must have elapsed since the last dose of monoclonal antibody (e.g., 66 days for rituximab and 69 days for epratuzumab) before subjects may initiate study treatment.
- Subjects must not have received other antineoplastic agents with therapeutic intent, excluding hydroxyurea and antimetabolites administered as part of maintenance chemotherapy, within 7 days prior to study treatment initiation.
- Hepatitis B infection with positive hepatitis B DNA
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
Children's Hospital Colorado
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta - Egleston
Lurie Children's Hospital-Chicago
Johns Hopkins University / Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
NYP / Columbia University Medical Center / Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center
Case Comprehensive Cancer Center
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital
UT Southwestern / Simmons Cancer Center-Dallas
Texas Children's Hospital
Salt Lake City
Primary Children's Hospital
Trial Phase Phase I
Trial Type Treatment
- Primary ID CFZ008
- Secondary IDs NCI-2014-02601, 2014‐001633‐84
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT02303821