News and events from NCI-funded research and programs
News & Events
Recent Press Releases
- NCI collaborates with Multiple Myeloma Research FoundationSeptember 28, 2016
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) announced a collaboration with the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) to incorporate MMRF's wealth of genomic and clinical data on the disease into the NCI Genomic Data Commons (GDC), a publicly available database.
- NCI embraces scientific road map to achieve Cancer Moonshot goalsSeptember 7, 2016
National Cancer Institute Acting Director Douglas Lowy, M.D., today accepted, with revisions that reflect NCAB’s discussion, the recommendations of a Blue Ribbon Panel (BRP) on 10 approaches most likely to make a decade’s worth of progress against cancer in five years, a key goal of the White House Cancer Moonshot.
- Oxygen can impair cancer immunotherapy in miceAugust 25, 2016
Researchers have identified a mechanism in mice by which anticancer immune responses are inhibited within the lungs, a common site of metastasis for many cancers.
- Uncovering a new principle in chemotherapy resistance in breast cancerJuly 20, 2016
A laboratory study has revealed an entirely unexpected process for acquiring drug resistance that bypasses the need to re-establish DNA damage repair in breast cancers that have mutant BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.
- International collaboration to create new cancer models to accelerate researchJuly 11, 2016
An international project to develop a large, globally accessible bank of new cancer cell culture models for the research community launched today.
- NCI launches largest-ever study of breast cancer genetics in black womenJuly 6, 2016
The Breast Cancer Genetic Study in African-Ancestry Populations initiative is a collaborative research project that will identify genetic factors that may underlie breast cancer disparities. It is the largest study ever to investigate how genetic and biological factors contribute to breast cancer risk among black women.
- Significant expansion of data available in the Genomic Data CommonsJune 29, 2016
The recently launched Genomic Data Commons will get a dramatic increase in the power and utility of its resources with the signing today of a data sharing agreement between the NCI and Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI), a molecular information company.
- Newly launched Genomic Data Commons to facilitate data and clinical information sharingJune 6, 2016
The Genomic Data Commons (GDC), a unified data system that promotes sharing of genomic and clinical data between researchers, launched today with a visit from Vice President Joe Biden to the operations center at the University of Chicago.
- NIH study visualizes proteins involved in cancer cell metabolismMay 26, 2016
Scientists using cryo-electron microscopy have broken through a technological barrier in visualizing proteins with an approach that may have an impact on drug discovery and development, capturing images of an enzyme found in cells at a resolution of 1.8 angstroms.
- Increased Physical Activity Associated with Lower Risk of 13 Types of CancerMay 16, 2016
A new study of the relationship between physical activity and cancer has shown that greater levels of leisure-time physical activity were associated with a lower risk of developing 13 different types of cancer; the risk of developing seven cancer types was 20 percent lower among the most active participants as compared with the least active participants.