Blinatumomab in Treating Patients with B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia with Minimal Residual Disease
- Patients with B-lineage acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in hematologic complete remission (CR) with molecular failure (i.e., had never achieved an MRD-negativity status before blinatumomab) or had a molecular relapse (i.e., became MRD positive after having been MRD negative) starting at any time point after 3 months of frontline therapy; molecular disease or minimal residual disease is defined by a value of at least of 1 x 10^-4 (0.01%) by multicolor flow cytometry and/or by next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Patients with B-lineage ALL in at least marrow CR in salvage 1 and beyond with molecular failure at any time point after 1 month of salvage therapy are allowed, including patients who received prior allogeneic stem cell transplantation
- Performance status of 0, 1, or 2
- Creatinine clearance >= 30 ml/minute
- Bilirubin less than or equal to 3.0 mg/dL
- No active or co-existing malignancy with life expectancy less than 12 months
- Patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive (Ph+) ALL can be enrolled in CR1 or CR2 and beyond; a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) will be added at the discretion of the treating physician; MRD for these patients will be defined by PCR of 0.1% and above (International Scale)
- Pregnant or nursing women
- Known to be human immunodeficiency virus positive (HIV+)
- Active and uncontrolled disease/infection as judged by the treating physician
- Unable or unwilling to sign the consent form
- Active central nervous system (CNS) or extramedullary disease
- Monoclonal antibodies therapy within 2 weeks before study entry
- Radiotherapy and cancer chemotherapy (except for intrathecal prophylaxis and/or low-dose maintenance therapy such as vinca alkaloids, mercaptopurine, methotrexate, steroids) or any investigational drug within 2 weeks before study entry
I. To evaluate the clinical efficacy of blinatumomab in patients B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in complete morphologic remission with positive minimal residual disease (MRD) in terms of relapse-free survival (RFS).
I. To evaluate other efficacy endpoints such as overall survival and MRD negativity rate by flow cytometry and/or polymerase chain reaction (PCR) overall and after the first cycle, as well as safety of blinatumomab in this setting.
Patients receive blinatumomab intravenously (IV) continuously on days 1-28. Treatment repeats every 6 weeks for up to 5 cycles in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients who do not proceed with stem cell transplantation may receive blinatumomab IV maintenance therapy with one cycle every 3 months for up to 4 cycles. Patients who remain in MRD remission for 3 months and then become MRD positive again can be retreated following the same treatment plan previously received.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up every 6 months.
Trial Phase Phase II
Trial Type Treatment
M D Anderson Cancer Center
- Primary ID 2014-0844
- Secondary IDs NCI-2015-01547
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT02458014