Alvocidib Biomarker-driven Phase 2 AML Study
- Be between the ages of ≥18 and ≤65 years
- Have an established, pathologically confirmed diagnoses of AML by World Health Organization (WHO) criteria excluding acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL-M3) with a bone marrow of >5% blasts based on histology or flow cytometry
- Be in first relapse (within 24 months of CR) or have failed induction therapy* (no CR or CRi after treatment with an intensive regimen (eg, anthracycline/cytarabine ± etoposide, gemtuzumab ozogamicin, or cladribine). *Induction therapy may involve 1 or 2 cycles of the same regimen. Efficacy assessment of induction therapy must be >21 days from the start of the previous induction cycle.
- Demonstrate MCL-1 dependence of ≥40% by mitochondrial profiling in bone marrow.
- Have an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status (PS) ≤2
- Have a serum creatinine level ≤1.8 mg/dL
- Have an alanine aminotransferase (ALT)/aspartate aminotransferase (AST) level ≤5 times upper limit of normal (ULN)
- Have a total bilirubin level ≤2.0 mg/dL (unless secondary to Gilbert syndrome, hemolysis, or leukemia)
- Have a left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) >45% by echocardiogram (ECHO) or multigated acquisition (MUGA) scan
- Be nonfertile or agree to use an adequate method of contraception. Sexually active patients and their partners must use an effective method of contraception associated with a low failure rate prior to study entry, for the duration of study participation, and for at least 3 months (males) and 6 months (females) after the last dose of study drug.
- Be able to comply with the requirements of the entire study.
- Provide written informed consent prior to any study related procedure.
- Received more than 2 cycles of induction therapy for AML. Investigational agents as part of front-line therapy for AML may by acceptable following discussion with the Medical Monitor. Hydroxyurea is permitted (see #5 below).
- Received any previous treatment with alvocidib or any other CDK inhibitor
- Received a hematopoietic stem cell transplant within the previous 2 months
- Have clinically significant graft versus host disease (GVHD), or GVHD requiring initiation or escalation of treatment within the last 21 days
- Require concomitant chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or immunotherapy. Hydroxyurea is allowed up to the evening before starting (but not within 12 hours) of starting treatment on either arm.
- Received >360 mg/m2 equivalents of daunorubicin
- Have a peripheral blast count of >30,000/mm3 (may use hydroxyurea as in #5 above)
- Received antileukemic therapy within the last 3 weeks (with the exception of hydroxyurea or if the patient has definite refractory disease). Refractory patients who received therapy within the last 3 weeks may be eligible with prior approval of the Medical Monitor.
- Diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL, M3)
- Have active central nervous system (CNS) leukemia
- Have evidence of uncontrolled disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Have an active, uncontrolled infection
- Have other life-threatening illness
- Have other active malignancies or diagnosed with other malignancies within the last 6 months, except nonmelanoma skin cancer or cervical intraepithelial neoplasia
- Have mental deficits and/or psychiatric history that may compromise the ability to give written informed consent or to comply with the study protocol.
- Are pregnant and/or nursing
- Have received any live vaccine within 14 days prior to first study drug administration.
In Stage 1 of the study, all eligible AML patients with demonstrated MCL-1 dependence of ≥ 40% by mitochondrial profiling in bone marrow will receive treatment with ACM. In Stage 2, all eligible AML patients with demonstrated MCL-1 dependence of ≥ 40% by mitochondrial profiling in bone marrow will be randomized 1:1 to receive either treatment with ACM or CM.
Trial Phase Phase II
Trial Type Treatment
Tolero Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Primary ID TPI-ALV-201
- Secondary IDs NCI-2015-02082
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT02520011