Study of Cabozantinib in Combination With Nivolumab and Ipilimumab in Patients With Previously Untreated Advanced or Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Histologically confirmed advanced (not amenable to curative surgery or radiation therapy) or metastatic (AJCC Stage IV) renal cell carcinoma with a clear-cell component.
- Intermediate- or poor-risk RCC as defined by International Metastatic RCC Database Consortium (IMDC) criteria.
- Measurable disease per RECIST 1.1 as determined by the Investigator.
- Karnofsky Performance Status (KPS) ≥ 70%.
- Adequate organ and marrow function.
- Prior systemic anticancer therapy for unresectable locally advanced or metastatic RCC including investigational agents.
- Uncontrolled, significant intercurrent or recent illness including, but not limited to serious cardiovascular disorders (including uncontrolled hypertension defined as sustained blood pressure (BP) > 150 mm Hg systolic or > 90 mm Hg diastolic despite optimal antihypertensive treatment), GI disorders associated with high risk for perforation or fistula formation, tumors invading GI tract, bowel obstruction, intra-abdominal abscess, clinically significant bleeding events, cavitating pulmonary lesions, or lesions invading major pulmonary blood vessels.
- Other clinically significant disorders such as:
- Autoimmune disease that has been symptomatic or required treatment within the past two years from the date of randomization.
- Any condition requiring systemic treatment with either corticosteroids (> 10 mg daily prednisone equivalent) or other immunosuppressive medications within 14 days of randomization.
- Active infection requiring systemic treatment. Acute or chronic hepatitis B or C infection, known human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)-related illness, or known positive test for tuberculosis infection where there is clinical or radiographic evidence of active myobacterial infection.
- Known history of COVID-19 unless the subject has clinically recovered from the disease at least 30 days prior to randomization.
- Major surgery (eg, nephrectomy, GI surgery, removal or biopsy of brain metastasis) within 4 weeks prior to randomization. Minor surgeries within 10 days prior to randomization. Subjects must have complete wound healing from major or minor surgery before randomization.
- Any other active malignancy at time of randomization or diagnosis of another malignancy within 3 years prior to randomization that requires active treatment, except for locally curable cancers that have been apparently cured, such as basal or squamous cell skin cancer, superficial bladder cancer, or carcinoma in situ of the prostate, cervix, or breast.
This is a multicenter, randomized, double-blinded, controlled Phase 3 trial of cabozantinib
in combination with nivolumab and ipilimumab versus nivolumab and ipilimumab in combination
with matched placebo. The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of
cabozantinib in combination with nivolumab and ipilimumab ("triplet") on the duration of
progression-free survival (PFS) versus nivolumab and ipilimumab. A secondary objective is to
evaluate the effect of triplet combination on the duration of overall survival (OS).
Trial Phase Phase III
Trial Type Treatment
- Primary ID XL184-313
- Secondary IDs NCI-2019-03379
- Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT03937219