Early Investigator Advancement Program Announces First Cohort of Scholars
, by CRCHD Staff
The cancer research enterprise needs a continuous flow of talent through the research career pipeline to thrive. One critical juncture is the transition from junior investigator to independent investigator. To this end, in late 2021 the National Cancer Institute launched the Early Investigator Advancement Program (EIAP) to facilitate the advancement of scientists from diverse backgrounds to become independent investigators.
Today, NCI is proud to announce the first cohort of EIAP Scholars:
- Tamara Cadet, PhD, LICSW, MPH, University of Pennsylvania
- Tara Castellano, MD, Louisiana State University
- Huy Dinh, PhD, University of Wisconsin
- David Garcia, PhD, University of Arizona
- Rachel Issaka, MD, MAS, University of Washington
- Marquita Lewis-Thames, PhD, Northwestern University
- Daniel Liefwalker, PhD, Oregon Health & Science University
- Maria Lopez-Olivo, MD, PhD, MSc, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Raymond Mailhot, MD, MPH, University of Florida
- Ursula Martínez, PhD, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Laurie McLouth, PhD, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Markey Cancer Center
- Edjah Kweku-Ebura Nduom, MD, Emory University
- Esther Obeng, MD, PhD, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- Hatice Osmanbeyoglu, PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- Marjan Rafat, PhD, Vanderbilt University
- Suhn Rhie, PhD, University of Southern California
- Analiz Rodriguez, MD, PhD, University of Arkansas
- Julia Unternaehrer, PhD, Loma Linda University
- Ester Villalonga-Olives, PhD, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
- Angela Walter, PhD, University of Massachusetts Lowell
EIAP aims to:
- Enhance professional skills;
- Guide preparation of an R01 grant application;
- Provide access to a mentoring and peer network; and
- Grow a community of emerging independent investigators from diverse backgrounds.
Each year, EIAP will support the professional and career development of a cohort of Early Stage Investigators and New Investigators who are preparing to submit an R01. Cohort members will provide peer support for each other both during and beyond their participation in the program.
Visit the EIAP webpage to learn more about this new program.