Recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Panel
The recommendations described in the Blue Ribbon Panel report to the National Cancer Advisory Board emerged from the reports of the BRP’s seven working groups. These reports discuss the groups’ recommendations in detail:
- Tumor Evolution and Progression Working Group Report
- Clinical Trials Working Group Report
- Precision Prevention and Early Detection Working Group Report
- Pediatric Cancer Working Group Report
- Enhanced Data Sharing Working Group Report
- Cancer Immunology Working Group Report
- Implementation Science Working Group Report
These reports outline a total of 13 recommendations, which will form the basis for NCI’s consideration of implementation. (A 14th recommendation was converted into a demonstration project.) For the purposes of the report submitted to the National Cancer Advisory Board, the 13 recommendations were combined into 10 as follows:
- The Pediatric Cancer and Tumor Evolution and Progression working groups jointly recommended efforts to identify new therapeutic targets to overcome cancer resistance. (This joint idea is included in both working group reports.)
- The Tumor Evolution and Progression, Cancer Immunology, and Precision Prevention and Early Detection working groups all proposed generation of human atlases of cancer.
- Both the Precision Prevention and Early Detection and Implementation Science working groups focused on the importance of screening.
- Development of technologies cited throughout the recommendations was combined into a single recommendation.
Also available is a report about the public idea submission site, which received more than 1,600 ideas and comments that were forwarded to the BRP for consideration.