NIH Announces Final FIRST Cohort Funding Opportunity
Submit Your Application by July 12
The NIH Common Fund announces a new FY23 funding opportunity as part of the NIH Faculty Institutional Recruitment for Sustainable Transformation (FIRST) program. We encourage you to review and consider applying to this funding opportunity—RFA-RM-22-008—which is the final FIRST cohort funding opportunity.
NIH launched the FIRST program with the goal of developing cultures of inclusive excellence—scientific environments that can cultivate and benefit from a full range of talents—at NIH-funded institutions. Inclusive excellence hinges on both enhancing diversity and inclusion, as well as institutional culture change. Fostering inclusive environments that cultivate and benefit from a full range of talents is not only essential for the quality and impact of science but is also good stewardship of federal funds to ensure that the most talented researchers are recruited, supported, and advanced to become competitive research investigators. This funding opportunity aims to support cohorts of early-career scientists committed to diversity and inclusive excellence.
- This is the third and final issuance of a FIRST cohort funding opportunity.
- Applications are due July 12, 2022.
- Applications are welcome from Limited-Resourced Institutions (LRI), Highly Resourced Institutions (HRI), or Partnerships (any composition of LRI and/or HRI).
- Cohorts may be comprised of faculty conducting research within any NIH mission area.
- A webinar was held in January 2021 to describe the overall program and clarify expectations for the original funding opportunities. Access the recording.
- Review the FAQs, which are now updated specifically for RFA-RM-22-008.
- Access information about current FIRST program awardees.
- Questions? Email FIRSTNIH@nih.gov.
We would welcome and appreciate you sharing this funding announcement broadly.