Celebrating National Native American Heritage Month
, by CRCHD Staff
National Native American Heritage Month is November 1–30. This month, we are pleased to share with you the following selection of videos, blogs, publications, resources, and events. Please check back on this post throughout the month, as new resources will be added over time.
CRCHD National Native American Heritage Month Video Campaign
Throughout this month, CRCHD is spotlighting grantees’ stories and perspectives on their careers, why diversity in cancer research is important, and cancer disparities research initiatives. To view the videos from CRCHD grantees, click the links below or visit this webpage. Video transcripts are also available.
You may also view the video on CRCHD's social channels:
Spotlighting the Work of Dr. Regina Idoate
Regina Idoate, Ph.D., M.A., is an associate professor of health promotion at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), where she is also a leader of the UNMC Youth Enjoy Science (YES) program. In this guest blog post, Dr. Idoate discusses the importance of increasing representation of Native Americans in cancer research, as well as how the YES program is working toward that goal.
HHS and NIH Resources
- National Native American Heritage Month 2023
NIH Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI), November 2023
- Better Health Through Better Understanding for American Indians and Alaska Natives: Health Literacy, Language Preservation, and Culturally Appropriate Care 2023 Reading List
HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH), November 2023
- Native American Health
NCI Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, October 2023
- Native American Heritage Month Celebration (Livestream)
Department of Health and Human Services, November 27, 2023
- Infectious diseases in Indigenous populations in North America: learning from the past to create a more equitable future
The Lancet Infectious Diseases, October 2023
- Collective Re-Storying of Mentee and Mentor Experiences in a Cancer Research Education Program for American Indian and Alaska Native Students
Journal of STEM Outreach, August 2022