Summer Internship Program (SIP)
The National Cancer Institute offers a summer research internship for students interested in exploring careers in all areas of cancer research, including basic, clinical, and translational research, epidemiology, biostatistics, and genetics. The program is open to high school students, college, postbaccalaureate masters-level students, and graduate students, including medical and dental students. Successful applicants join the NCI for a minimum of eight weeks between May and September. Interns are encouraged to participate in lab or branch meetings, attend seminars, lectures, symposia offered by NCI and NIH Summer Seminar Series, and participate in the NIH Summer Research Program Poster Day.
SPECIAL NOTE: The 2020 Summer Internship Program is cancelled. If you applied to the program, you should have received a notification from the Office of Intramural Training and Education regarding your application. NIH is offering a free virtual summer-long series of activities for high school and college students. Please visit the NIH Summer Enrichment Program curriculum calendar to learn more.
Applications open mid-November and can be accessed by visiting the High School Summer Internship Program (HS-SIP) and Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research (SIP) websites. Please be sure to review all eligibility requirements prior to completing your application.
How It Works
- Submit your application on the OITE website. Submission includes:
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- A list of coursework and grades
- A cover letter describing the applicant’s research interests and career goals
- The names and contact information for two references
- For HS-SIP applicants, please contact the IC Coordinator to indicate interest in NCI and facilitate lab placement.
- For all other applicants, applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note, there is no centralized selection process. Individual scientists select their own summer interns and provide their own funding.
NCI SIP Subprograms
To learn more about NCI's SIP subprograms, please visit program websites:
- Cancer Research Interns (CRI)
- Introduction to Cancer Research Careers (ICRC)
- Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research for Veterinary Medical Students