Join us! Brain Tumor Awareness Month Guide and Information
, by NCI-CONNECT Staff
Use our guide with resources and information to share with your community about brain tumors in May. By raising awareness, we can help those living with a brain tumor.
In May, for Brain Tumor Awareness Month (BTAM), let’s bring the brain tumor community together to raise awareness and educate people living with a brain tumor. Our voices together can improve care.
Primary central nervous system (CNS) tumors begin in the brain or spinal cord. About 24,000 people are diagnosed a year with a primary CNS cancer. All primary CNS cancers are rare, so often disease information, support, and expert care is hard to find.
You are encouraged to get involved by sharing information about brain tumors with others beginning in May and continue after BTAM. By raising awareness, our hope is to recognize the need for clinical studies to improve early diagnosis, standardize treatment, and improve the health of those living with this disease.
About Brain Tumors
Watch and share this NCI video: Brain and Other Central Nervous System Cancers | Did You Know?
- Learn about brain anatomy and functions and brain tumor symptoms.
- Learn ways to manage brain tumor symptoms.
- Learn how brain tumors are diagnosed and treated.
- Learn how brain tumors are graded and monitored.
- Learn about treatment options for adults with primary brain tumors.
- Learn about treatment options for children with primary brain tumors.
- Use our guiding questions to help at each stage of care.
- Get coping and support resources for each stage of the brain cancer journey.
- Learn positive strategies to manage your self-care.
- Read answers from our doctors on frequently asked questions about brain tumors.
- Get statistics related to people living with brain cancer in the United States.
To bring together the brain tumor community and help encourage those living with a brain tumor, we created brain tumor tips to share with our followers and are asking them to share their tips as well. We encourage you to do the same.
Some topic ideas for brain tumor tips include: coping with a brain tumor (feelings, adjusting, day-to-day life, self-image and sexuality, support for caregivers, survivorship, managing care); brain tumor treatments (types, trials, drugs, research); and understanding diagnosis (tumor types, symptoms). Brain tumor tips can be as videos, graphics, or any sharable message format for the community. Messages can be from a provider, researcher, patient, caregiver, advocate, or anyone affected by a brain tumor.
When you share your tips please include the #braintumortips hashtag! View our brain tumor tips >