NCI Dictionary of Genetics Terms
The NCI Dictionary of Genetics Terms contains technical definitions for more than 200 terms related to genetics. These definitions were developed by the PDQ® Cancer Genetics Editorial Board to support the evidence-based, peer-reviewed PDQ cancer genetics information summaries.
- listen (UN-uh-FEK-ted)
- An individual who does not manifest symptoms of a condition or disease occurring in his or her family.
- unclassified variant
- listen (un-KLA-sih-fide VAYR-ee-unt)
- A variation in a genetic sequence whose association with disease risk is uncertain. Also called variant of uncertain significance, variant of unknown significance, and VUS.
- listen (UN-in-FOR-muh-tiv)
- A negative test result in an individual where a clearly deleterious mutation has not been found in any family members. The genetic risk status of such an individual must be interpreted in the context of his or her personal and family history. Also called inconclusive and indeterminate.