Lenvatinib mesylate works by blocking proteins that signal cancer cells to divide. It also blocks proteins that signal the growth of new blood vessels that tumors need to grow. Blocking these signals keeps cancer cells from growing. Lenvatinib mesylate is a type of targeted therapy drug called a kinase inhibitor. It is a small-molecule drug (a drug that can enter cells easily).
Use in Cancer
Lenvatinib mesylate is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Endometrial carcinoma that is advanced and got worse after other systemic therapies. It is used with pembrolizumab in patients whose cancer is not microsatellite instability-high (MSI-H) or mismatch repair deficient (dMMR) and cannot be treated with surgery or radiation therapy.
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (a type of liver cancer). It is used as the first treatment in patients whose cancer cannot be removed by surgery.
- Renal cell carcinoma (a type of kidney cancer) that is advanced. It is used:
- Thyroid cancer in certain patients whose cancer got worse, came back, or has spread to other parts of the body and did not respond to treatment with radioactive iodine.
Lenvatinib mesylate is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Lenvatinib Mesylate
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Lenvatinib Mesylate - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Research Results and Related Resources
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Lenvatinib Mesylate - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.