This page contains brief information about pemetrexed disodium and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
FDA label information for this drug is available at DailyMed.
Use in Cancer
Pemetrexed disodium is approved to be used alone or with other drugs to treat:
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma. It is used with cisplatin as the first treatment in patients whose cancer cannot be removed by surgery or who are not able to have surgery.
- Nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer. It is used:
- With pembrolizumab and platinum chemotherapy as the first treatment in patients whose cancer has spread to other parts of the body and does not have an abnormal EGFR or ALK gene.
- With cisplatin as the first treatment in patients whose cancer has spread.
- Alone as maintenance therapy in patients whose cancer has spread and did not get worse after four cycles of platinum-based chemotherapy as the first treatment.
- Alone in patients whose cancer has spread to other parts of the body or has come back after other chemotherapy.
Pemetrexed disodium is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Pemetrexed Disodium
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Pemetrexed Disodium - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Pemetrexed Disodium - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.