Questions to Ask Your Neurosurgeon
Here are some questions to ask your neurosurgeon. These questions can help you decide if surgery is the best treatment option for you, prepare for surgery, and make sure you’re receiving the best possible care.
- Why do I need surgery?
- What is your experience in doing this surgery?
- Have you performed surgery on someone with my tumor type before?
- If so, how many patients with my tumor type do you perform surgery on each year?
- How soon do I need to have surgery?
- What are the possible risks of surgery?
- What are the benefits of surgery?
- Should I get a second opinion?
- What other specialists will be a part of my surgical team (anesthesiologist, surgical tech, resident, fellow, primary surgeon or secondary surgeon)?
- What other specialists will be part of my team after surgery (neuro-oncologist, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, advanced practice nurse, nurse navigator, pharmacist, speech therapist, neuropsychologist, social worker, nutritionist, physical therapist)?
- How long will the surgery take?
- What do I need to do to prepare for surgery (changes in medications, diet, or activity)?
We encourage you to print these questions and bring them with you to your appointment.