This page contains brief information about denosumab and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Denosumab is approved to treat:
- Giant cell tumor of the bone. It is used in adults and in adolescents whose bones have finished growing. This use is approved for the Xgeva brand of Denosumab.
Denosumab is approved to prevent and treat:
- Broken bones and other bone problems caused by solid tumors that have metastasized (spread) to bone. This use is approved for the Xgeva brand of denosumab.
- Osteoporosis in postmenopausal women who have a high risk of breaking bones. This use is approved for the Prolia brand of denosumab.
- Prostate cancer in patients receiving androgen deprivation therapy.
- Breast cancer in patients receiving aromatase inhibitor therapy.
Denosumab is also being studied in the treatment of other conditions and types of cancer.
More About Denosumab
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Denosumab - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Targeted Cancer Therapies - Information about the use of this drug to treat cancer.
Denosumab Effective for Multiple Myeloma and Solid Tumors - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Denosumab Reduces Risk of Bone Side Effects in Advanced Prostate Cancer - Important clinical trial results for this drug, background information, and how the trial was done.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Denosumab - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.