This page contains brief information about ipilimumab and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Ipilimumab is approved to treat:
- Colorectal cancer in adults and children 12 years and older. Ipilimumab is used with nivolumab to treat metastatic microsatellite instability-high (MSI-H) or mismatch repair deficient (dMMR) cancer that got worse after treatment with a fluoropyrimidine, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan hydrochloride.¹
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (a type of liver cancer). Ipilimumab is used with nivolumab in patients who have already been treated with sorafenib.¹
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ipilimumab is used with nivolumab as the first treatment in adults whose cancer cannot be removed by surgery.
- Non-small cell lung cancer. Ipilimumab is used with nivolumab as the first treatment in adults with:
- Renal cell carcinoma (a type of kidney cancer) that is advanced. Ipilimumab is used with nivolumab in some patients with renal cell carcinoma that has not been treated.
Ipilimumab is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Ipilimumab
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on Ipilimumab - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Research Results and Related Resources
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Ipilimumab - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.