This page contains brief information about prednisone and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
It is used with other drugs to treat the following types of cancer:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and acute myeloid leukemia (AML). It is used as palliative therapy in adults and children.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). It is used as palliative therapy in adults.
- Hodgkin lymphoma. It is used as palliative therapy in adults.
- Mycosis fungoides (a type of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma).
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It is used as palliative therapy in adults.
Prednisone is also used alone or with other drugs to prevent or treat the following conditions related to cancer:
- Drug hypersensitivity (allergic reactions).
- Hypercalcemia (high blood levels of calcium).
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet levels) in adults.
Prednisone is also used alone or with other drugs to treat many other diseases and conditions. The drug continues to be studied in the treatment of many types of cancer and other conditions.
More About Prednisone
Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary - Detailed scientific definition and other names for this drug.
MedlinePlus Information on MedlinePlus Information for Prednisone - A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.
Clinical Trials Accepting Patients
Find Clinical Trials for Prednisone - Check for trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials now accepting patients.