The Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Institutional Research Training Grant (T32)
The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) (T32) supports grants to institutions to develop or enhance research training opportunities for pre and postdoctoral fellows to be trained in cancer research.
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcement PA-18-403 (T32 Institutional Research Training Grant) and/or contact the program director.
At the time of the award, PD/PI must be:
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Degree/Academic Appointment||Established Investigators (Associate and Full Professors)|
|Commitment||Salary support not allowed; 5-10% commitment recommended|
|Duration of Award||Up to 5 years of support with the opportunity for renewal|
|Program PD/PI||Applicant must have independent cancer-focused R01, or R01-like, peer-reviewed research funding at the time of application and award.|
NCI expects faculty members to have peer-reviewed independent R01, or R01-like research support.
New and Early Stage Investigators without this funding can serve as co-mentors.
|Trainees||For each year, no more than 25% of trainees under a new NCI-supported T32 grant can be predoctoral trainees.|
|Budget (Direct Costs)||
New T32 Training Programs:
Competing renewal T32 Training Programs with current budgets less than $500,00 a year:
Competing Renewal T32 Training Programs with current budgets at $500,000 a year or more:
At the time of the award, trainee must be:
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Degree/Academic Appointment||Pre and postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows|
|Commitment||Trainee must dedicate at least 40 hours per week (full-time effort) to the training program|
|Duration of Award||
|Number of Years' Experience||Stipend for FY 2018|
7 or more
Tuition & Fees
|For each...||NCI will pay...|
|Predoctoral Trainee Supported||60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees up to $16,000 per year|
|Combined Dual-Degree Trainee (e.g., M.D.-Ph.D.) Supported||60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees up to $21,000 per year|
|Postdoctoral Trainee Supported||60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees up to $4,500 per year|
|Postdoctoral Trainee in a Formal Degree-Granting Program||60% of the combined amount requested for tuition and fees up to $16,000 per year|
Travel to Scientific Meetings
$800 per Predoc
$1,000 per Postdoc
|Predoctoral Trainee Support||$4,200 annually|
|Postdoctoral Trainee Support||$9,850 annually|
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted electronically.
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the SF 424 (R&R) Application Guide.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the funding opportunity announcement.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not accepted for review.
Application Receipt Dates & Review Schedule
|Receipt Cycle||Application Receipt Date: New, Renewal, and Resubmission||Initial Review Date||Council Review Date||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|2||May 25||October/November||January/ February||April|
*Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommittee F, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcement. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
- Program Announcement PA-18-403 (T32 Institutional Research Training Grant)
- NCI Guidelines
- Current List of T32 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI - F
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Training Funding Opportunities to Promote Diversity
- Overview of the grant process
- NCI Resources for Researchers
- Application Data Tables
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Stipends, Tuition/Fees and Other Budgetary Levels (2018)
- Required Use of xTrain for the Electronic Submission of Appointment Forms and/or Termination Notices
- Updated Appendix Policy
- Competing Renewal Application and requirements for Interim-RPPR
- NCI T32 training program must be cancer focused, unique, and innovative.
- The Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) should have the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to organize and implement a high quality research program. The PD/PI must hold a peer-reviewed independent cancer-focused R01, or R01-like, research funding at the time the T32 application is submitted and awarded.
- The faculty members are expected to have peer-reviewed independent R01, or R01-like research support. New and Early Stage Investigators with no such funding may serve as co-mentors.
- For the NCI T32, R01-like research funding includes peer-reviewed research grants from other federal sources and private foundations. The award duration must be for at least 3 years with a minimum of $150,000 direct costs per year. Grants under a no-cost extension do not qualify.
- No less than 75% of the requested trainees per award year must be postdoctoral trainees in a newly proposed training program.
- Short-term training positions are not allowed for NCI T32 training programs.
- New trainees under NCI T32 grants generally are appointed for full-time 12-month continuous periods.
- An initial appointment of less than 9 months is allowed ONLY IF an assurance is included that the appointed trainee will be immediately reappointed in the subsequent year; these exceptions require prior written approval by the NCI Program Official listed in the Notice of Award.
- The total number of awarded trainee-months for each budget period may not be exceeded, nor may the numbers of predoctoral and/or postdoctoral trainee appointments at any time exceed the numbers specified in the Notice of Award.
- Budget (direct cost)
- For new T32 Training Programs, the budgets must be less than $500,000/year.
- For competing renewal T32 Training Programs with current budgets less than $500,000/year, the budgets must remain at less than $500,000/year.
- For competing renewal T32 Training Programs with current budgets at $500,000/year or more, a request to maintain the current budget level must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the anticipated application submission for program approval. Increases in training slots will not be approved.
- PI change or mentor addition requires program director's review and approval.
- Only the reappointment of current trainees is allowed under a no-cost extension.
- The Statement of Appointment Form (PHS2271) must be submitted for each trainee, each year prior to or at the time of appointment. A Payback Agreement (PHS6031, revised 9/93) must be submitted for all postdoctoral trainees beginning their initial Kirschstein-NRSA appointment. No stipend or other allowances may be paid until submission of the proper forms. Failure to submit these forms within 90 days of the start date for the appointment may result in an expenditure disallowance or a delay in continued funding. Completed trainee forms must be submitted electronically via xTrain.
- Termination Notice must be submitted immediately through xTrain upon completion of the Trainees appoinment.
NCI Staff Contacts
For information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the T32 Award, contact:
- Dr. Susan Lim
- Dr. Mark Damico
- Branch Phone: 240-276-5630
For assistance with xTrain, contact:
- Karen Tolson
For technical issues with xTrain, contact the eRA Service Desk
For more information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities