Mentored Quantitative Research Career Award (K25)
The Mentored Quantitative Research Career Development Award (K25) supports investigators with quantitative scientific and engineering backgrounds outside of biology or medicine who have made a commitment to focus their research endeavors on behavioral and biomedical research (basic or clinical).
For more complete information, reference the Program Announcements PA-20-197 (Parent K25 Independent Clinical Trial Required), PA-20-198 (Parent K25 Independent Basic Experimental Studies with Humans Required), and PA-20-199 (Parent K25 Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed) and/or contact the Program Director.
At the time of the award, the candidate must be:
Citizenship or green card is not needed to apply. Citizenship or green card is needed at the time of award issuance.
|Foreign Nationals with Student Visas||Not eligible for this award|
|Effort/Commitment||Candidate must commit a minimum of 9 person months (75%) full-time professional effort to the K25 Career Development Award.|
|Duration of Award||3-5 years; the K25 Award is not renewable|
|Salary||Up to $100K/year + fringe benefits|
|Research Development Support: Tuition/Fees, Supplies/Equipment, Travel, and Statistical Services||Up to $50K/year|
|F&A Costs/Indirect Costs||8%|
|Ancillary Personnel Support: Salary for Mentors, Secretarial and Administrative Assistance, etc.||Not allowed|
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted electronically.
- Applicants must follow the instructions in the , as well as any program-specific instructions noted in Section IV. of the Program Announcement.
- When the program-specific instructions deviate from those in the Application Guide, follow the program-specific instructions in Program Announcement.
- Applications that do not comply with these instructions may be delayed or not be accepted for review.
Application Receipt Dates and Review Schedule
|Receipt Cycle||Receipt Date: New Application||Receipt Date: Resubmission||Initial Review||Council Review||Earliest Possible Start Date*|
|1||February 12||March 12||June/July||September/October||December|
|2||June 12||July 12||October/November||January/February||April|
|3||October 12||November 12||February/March||May/June||July|
*Start dates are determined by the availability of NCI funds and may not occur until well after the earliest possible start date.
Applications are due by 5 pm local time.
When a standard submission date falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.
Review and Selection Process
The Center for Scientific Review (CSR) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) review applications for completeness and for conformance to all eligibility requirements and special provisions and requirements. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Subcommitee-J, convened by the Division of Extramural Activities of the NCI, evaluates applications according to the review criteria listed in the Program Announcements. Before an award is made, the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB) conducts a second level of review and ensures that an application meets the broad program needs and priorities of the NCI and the National Cancer Program.
For review criteria for the K25 grant mechanism, see Section V. Application Review Information of the Program Announcements.
- Program Announcement - PA-20-197 (Parent K25 Independent Clinical Trial Required)Current List of K25 Awards
- Program Announcement - PA-20-198 (Parent K25 Independent Basic Experimental Studies with Humans Required)
- Program Announcement - PA-20-199 (Parent K25 Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Current List of K25 Awards
- Link to Main Peer Review Group NCI-J
- Overview of the Grant Process
- NCI Resources for Researchers
NCI Staff Contacts
For additional information regarding policies and/or guidance in preparing an application for the K25 Award, contact:
- Dr. Sonia B. Jakowlew
For information regarding fiscal and/or budget issues, contact:
- Grants Administration Branch
For information regarding review issues, contact:
- Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities