Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee
The NCI Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee (TMSC) was established in 2008. At monthly meetings, the TMSC addresses the design, prioritization, and evaluation of concepts for phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials in chest malignancies. In addition to focusing on lung cancer, the TMSC addresses oncology trials in other thoracic sites, such as mesothelioma. Carcinoid tumor (functional and non-functional) and esophageal cancer trials are reviewed by the Gastrointestinal Steering Committee. View the TMSC member roster.
- TMSC Strategic Priorities were formulated with the goal that the majority of submitted concepts would align with the established priorities.
Clinical Trial Planning Meetings (CTPMs)
CTPMs are held periodically and focus on specific clinical trial related topics. The following are important TMSC CTPMs:
- Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MPM)
The TMSC with co-sponsorship from the NCI, the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC), and the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (MARF), held a CTPM in March of 2017 to develop a strategy for two to three clinical trials for MPM within the National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN) that are feasible, statistically robust, and clinically meaningful in this rare disease that lacks randomized trials. Read the executive summary, and resulting publications from the meeting:
- Pathologic Considerations and Standardization in Mesothelioma Clinical Trials
- Current and Future Management of Malignant Mesothelioma...
- A Proposed System Toward Standardizing Surgery-Based Treatments for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma...
- The Use of Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma...
- Radiologic Considerations and Standardization of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Imaging...
- Strategies for Integrating Biomarkers into Clinical Development of New Therapies for Lung Cancer
As part of the effort to develop effective drugs for treatment of lung cancer, in February 2012, the TMSC held a CTPM to address design challenges related to the incorporation of biomarkers into clinical trials. Read the executive summary and Consensus Report of a Joint NCI/FDA Workshop Leading to the Inception of “Master Protocols” in Lung Cancer.
For more information, contact NCI CCCT Program Director, Mehrdad Mohseni, M.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org.