Health Disparities Resources
CRCHD Programs and Initiatives
- Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) Training and Career Development Funding Opportunities
- CURE Infographic
Visually lays out each career stage of the CURE pipeline, highlights specific successes of the program, and provides concrete ways for interested parties to become involved as a CURE scholar.
- Intramural Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (iCURE)
- Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP)
- National Outreach Network (NON)
- Partnerships to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE)
- Training Navigation
- Screen to Save: NCI Colorectal Cancer Outreach and Screening Initiative English, Spanish
- Basic Research in Cancer Health Disparities (R21/R01)
- Exploratory Grant Award to Promote Workforce Diversity in Basic Cancer Research (R21)
- NCI Mentored Research Scientist Development Award to Promote Diversity (K01)
- NCI Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award to Promote Diversity (K08)
- NCI Kirschstein-NRSA Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health Related Research (F31)
- NCI Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Diversity Supplements)
- NCI Youth Enjoy Science Research Education Program (R25)
Resources for Cancer Disparities Researchers
- Resources for Cancer Disparities Researchers
Features 30 resources relevant to Cancer Health Disparities, organized by Basic/Translational/Preclinical Resources (Wet Lab Resources) and Population/Epidemiology Resources (Computer-Based Resources).
- CRCHD Annual Report
Outlines CRCHD's programs, selected projects, investigators, and partnerships.
- The CURE Paradigm: Enhancing Workforce Diversity
Describes the Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) training program.
- Excess Cervical Cancer Mortality: A Marker for Low Access to Health Care in Poor Communities
Compilation of recommendations from the more than 180 multidisciplinary experts who participated in the Cervical Cancer Mortality Project convened by NCI’s Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. These recommendations explore the components of the cervical cancer problem, identify critical needs, and suggest actions to meet those needs.
- Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer
Provides updates on cancer incidence and death rates and trends in cancer outcomes in the United States.
- Cancer Trends Progress Report
Includes key measures of progress along the cancer control continuum and illustrates where advances have been made.
- Voices of a Broken System: Real People, Real Problems: President's Cancer Panel Report
Summarizes the results of town meetings held throughout the U.S. during 2000 on cancer care problems faced by cancer patients.
Other Select Reports
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Cancer Progress Report
Report to Congress and the American public that can serve as a comprehensive educational tool to illustrate the return on investment in cancer research and biomedical science.
- CDC Health Disparities & Inequalities Report
Highlights health disparities and inequalities across a wide range of diseases, behavioral risk factors, environmental exposures, social determinants, and healthcare access by sex, race and ethnicity, income, education, disability status, and other social characteristics.
- Healthy People 2020
Provides science-based 10-year national objectives for improving the health of all Americans.
- The Unequal Burden of Cancer
Provides an authoritative view of cancer as it is experienced by ethnic minorities and the medically underserved.
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care
Examines how disparities in treatment may arise in health care systems and looks at aspects of the clinical encounter that may contribute to such disparities.
Plans & Budgets
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
Outlines goals and actions the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will take to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities.
- Annual Plan & Budget Proposal
Provides vision and direction for the nationwide community of researchers, clinicians, public health workers, health care providers, patients, advocates, and policymakers working to defeat cancer.
- NIH Health Disparities Strategic Plan & Budget 2009-2013
Provides the blueprint for NIH institutes and centers' programs and initiatives aimed at overcoming health disparities.
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010: Advancing Health Equity for Racially and Ethnically Diverse Populations
Provides a comprehensive review of general and specific Affordable Care Act provisions with the potential to significantly improve health and health care for racially and ethnically diverse populations.
NIH/NCI Cancer Health Disparities Research Programs
The following programs and organizations help support NCI’s mission to reduce and eliminate cancer health disparities. Check out the About NCI page for a complete listing of NCI’s organizations.
- CRCHD’s Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP)
Facilitates collaboration, cooperation, information- and resource-sharing, and capacity-building among cancer health disparities researchers, trainees, outreach workers and organizations.
- CRCHD’s National Outreach Network (NON)
Multidisciplinary program that bridges NCI-supported outreach and community education efforts with cancer health disparities research and training programs.
- CRCHD’s Partnerships to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE)
Program that enables institutions serving racial, ethnic and/or underserved communities with cancer health disparities and NCI-designated Cancer Centers to train scientists from diverse backgrounds in cancer research and to effectively deliver cancer advances to racially and ethnically diverse communities.
- National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD) Programs
The NIMHD oversees numerous programs that are central to NIH’s mission of uncovering knowledge that will lead to better health for everyone.
- NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP)
Community-based program that aims to bring cancer clinical trials, as well as cancer care delivery research, to individuals in their own communities, thereby generating a broadly applicable evidence base that contributes to improved patient outcomes and a reduction in cancer disparities.
- NIH Office of Research on Women's Health
Works in partnership with the 27 NIH institutes and centers to ensure that women’s health research is part of the scientific framework at the NIH and throughout the scientific community.
Resources for Patients and Families
The following are useful links for patients and families seeking information about cancer and cancer care for racially and ethnically diverse audiences. Find additional resources for patients and families on the NCI Cancer Topics page or in NCI Publications.
- Hormone Therapy for Breast Cancer: Questions and Answers
(Spanish: Terapia hormonal para el cáncer de seno)
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer
- NCI's Breast Cancer Home Page
(Spanish: Cáncer de seno (mama))
- Oral Contraceptives and Cancer Risk
- Understanding Breast Changes: A Health Guide for Women
- HPV and Cancer
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccines
- HPV and Pap Testing
- Understanding Cervical Changes: A Health Guide for Women
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Home Page
- Tests to Detect Colorectal Cancer and Polyps: Questions and Answers
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test: Questions and Answers
- Understanding Prostate Changes: A Health Guide for Men
- Learn About Clinical Trials
- If You Want To Find Ways To Prevent Cancer...Learn About Prevention Clinical Trials
- Providing Your Tissue For Research: What You Need To Know
(Spanish: Lo que usted debe saber antes de dar sus tejidos para investigación médica)
- Taking Part in Clinical Treatment Research Studies
Coping and Survivorship
- Eating Hints: Before, During, and After Cancer Treatment
(Spanish: Consejos de alimentación: Antes, durante y después del tratamiento del cáncer)
- Facing Forward Series: Life After Cancer Treatment
- Pain Control: A Guide for People With Cancer
Hispanics & Latinos
Links to more than 160 resources in Spanish, including fact sheets, patient education booklets/pamphlets, videos, technical reports, and meeting summaries.
- Radioactive Iodine I–131 and Thyroid Cancer: An Education Resource
Addresses Native Americans concerns about I-131 fallout from the Nevada tests and its relationship to thyroid cancer.