Health Disparities Resources
- CRCHD Annual Report
Outlines CRCHD's programs, selected projects, investigators, and partnerships.
- The CURE Paradigm: Enhancing Workforce Diversity
Describes the Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) training program.
- CURE Infographic
Visually lays out each career stage of the CURE pipeline, highlights specific successes of the program, and provides concrete ways for interested parties to become involved as a CURE scholar.
- Excess Cervical Cancer Mortality: A Marker for Low Access to Health Care in Poor Communities
Compilation of recommendations from the more than 180 multidisciplinary experts who participated in the Cervical Cancer Mortality Project convened by NCI’s Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. These recommendations explore the components of the cervical cancer problem, identify critical needs, and suggest actions to meet those needs.
- Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer
Provides updates on cancer incidence and death rates and trends in cancer outcomes in the United States.
- Cancer Trends Progress Report
Includes key measures of progress along the cancer control continuum and illustrates where advances have been made.
- Voices of a Broken System: Real People, Real Problems: President's Cancer Panel Report
Summarizes the results of town meetings held throughout the U.S. during 2000 on cancer care problems faced by cancer patients.
Other Select Reports
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Cancer Progress Report
Report to Congress and the American public that can serve as a comprehensive educational tool to illustrate the return on investment in cancer research and biomedical science.
- CDC Health Disparities & Inequalities Report
Highlights health disparities and inequalities across a wide range of diseases, behavioral risk factors, environmental exposures, social determinants, and healthcare access by sex, race and ethnicity, income, education, disability status, and other social characteristics.
- Healthy People 2020
Provides science-based 10-year national objectives for improving the health of all Americans.
- The Unequal Burden of Cancer
Provides an authoritative view of cancer as it is experienced by ethnic minorities and the medically underserved.
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care
Examines how disparities in treatment may arise in health care systems and looks at aspects of the clinical encounter that may contribute to such disparities.
Plans & Budgets
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
Outlines goals and actions the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will take to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities.
- Annual Plan & Budget Proposal
Provides vision and direction for the nationwide community of researchers, clinicians, public health workers, health care providers, patients, advocates, and policymakers working to defeat cancer.
- NIH Health Disparities Strategic Plan & Budget 2009-2013
Provides the blueprint for NIH institutes and centers' programs and initiatives aimed at overcoming health disparities.
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010: Advancing Health Equity for Racially and Ethnically Diverse Populations
Provides a comprehensive review of general and specific Affordable Care Act provisions with the potential to significantly improve health and health care for racially and ethnically diverse populations.
CRCHD Programs and Initiatives
- Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) Training and Career Development Funding Opportunities
- Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP)
- National Outreach Network (NON)
- Partnerships to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE)
- Training Navigation
- Screen to Save: NCI Colorectal Cancer Outreach and Screening Initiative English, Spanish
- Exploratory/Developmental Grants Program for Basic Cancer Research in Cancer Health Disparities (R21/R01)
- Exploratory Grant Award to Promote Workforce Diversity in Basic Cancer Research (R21)
- NCI Mentored Research Scientist Development Award to Promote Diversity (K01)
- NCI Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award to Promote Diversity (K08)
- NCI Kirschstein-NRSA Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health Related Research (F31)
- NCI Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Diversity Supplements)
- NCI Youth Enjoy Science Research Education Program (R25)
- Understanding Cancer Disparities
(Spanish: Desigualdades por cancer)
- Cancer Health Disparities Research
(Spanish: Desigualdades en salud por cancer)
- The Biology of Cancer Health Disparities
NIH/NCI Tools & Datasets
Strategies, tools, and resources to support accrual to clinical trials.
- Cancer Control PLANET Web Portal
Provides access to data and resources that can help planners, program staff, and researchers to design, implement, and evaluate evidence-based cancer control programs.
- Cancer Mortality Maps
Provides dynamically generated maps for the time period 1950 to 2004.
Registry and results database of publicly and privately supported clinical studies of human participants conducted around the world.
- The Cooperative Human Tissue Network
Provides human tissues and fluids from routine procedures to investigators who utilize human biospecimens in their research.
- EPEC™-O Self Study: Cultural Considerations When Caring for African Americans
Palliative care materials for the care of African Americans.
- Health Disparities Calculator (HD*Calc)
Statistical software designed to generate multiple summary measures to evaluate and monitor health disparities (HD).
- Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS)
A national survey uniquely dedicated to learning how people find, use, and understand health information.
- Lifelines Cancer Education Series: Resources for Multicultural Media
Lifelines™ is a series of cancer education articles, videos and audio files
- National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) Cancer Control Supplement (CCS)
Survey that focuses on knowledge, attitudes, and practices in cancer-related health behaviors, screening, and risk assessments.
- NCI Research to Reality (R2R) Online Community
An online community of practice that links cancer control practitioners and researchers, and provides opportunities for discussion, learning, and enhanced collaboration on moving research into practice.
- NCI Webinars: Cancer Education for Multicultural Media
Reports from researchers working for or affiliated with NCI on how different types of cancer affect multicultural populations.
- NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT)
Provides access to reports, data, and analyses of NIH research activities, including information on NIH expenditures and the results of NIH supported research.
- NIH Women of Color Research Network (WoCRN)
Outreach network for women of color to assist them in navigating the NIH grants process and to receive advice on their career development.
- Research-Tested Intervention Programs (RTIPs)
Searchable database of cancer control interventions and related program materials designed to provide program planners and public health practitioners easy and immediate access to research-tested materials.
- State Cancer Profiles
Dynamic views of cancer statistics for prioritizing cancer control efforts in the nation, states, and counties.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program
Provides information on cancer statistics in an effort to reduce the burden of cancer among the U.S. population.
- Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey
Survey of tobacco use that has been administered as part of the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey.
- Women of Color Health Data Book, Fourth Edition
Presents data on race/ethnicity and disease with relevant discussions of historical, cultural, and socio-/geo-demographic factors that affect the health status of women of color.
NIH/NCI Cancer Health Disparities Research Programs
The following programs and organizations help support NCI’s mission to reduce and eliminate cancer health disparities. Check out the About NCI page for a complete listing of NCI’s organizations.
- CRCHD’s Community Network Program Centers (CNPCs)
CNPCs represent the next generation of CRCHD's Community Networks Program (CNP). There are 23 Community Networks Program National and Regional Centers for reducing cancer health disparities that emphasize high quality intervention research involving controlled and rigorous studies aimed at reducing cancer health disparities.
- CRCHD’s Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program (GMaP)
Facilitates collaboration, cooperation, information- and resource-sharing, and capacity-building among cancer health disparities researchers, trainees, outreach workers, and organizations.
- CRCHD’s National Outreach Network (NON)
Multidisciplinary program that bridges NCI-supported outreach and community education efforts with cancer health disparities research and training programs.
- CRCHD’s Partnerships to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE)
Program that enables institutions serving racial, ethnic, and/or underserved communities with cancer health disparities and NCI-designated Cancer Centers to train scientists from diverse backgrounds in cancer research and to effectively deliver cancer advances to racially and ethnically diverse communities.
- National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD) Programs
The NIMHD oversees numerous programs that are central to NIH’s mission of uncovering new knowledge that will lead to better health for everyone.
- NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP)
Community-based program that aims to bring cancer clinical trials, as well as cancer care delivery research, to individuals in their own communities, thereby generating a broadly applicable evidence base that contributes to improved patient outcomes and a reduction in cancer disparities.
- NIH Centers for Population Health and Health Disparities (CPHHD)
Supports transdisciplinary multilevel integrated research that clarifies the complex interactions of the social and physical environment, mediating behavioral factors, and biologic pathways that determine health and disease in populations.
- NIH Office of Research on Women's Health
Works in partnership with the 27 NIH institutes and centers to ensure that women’s health research is part of the scientific framework at the NIH and throughout the scientific community.
Additional Resources for Researchers
- The NIH Center for Scientific Review Peer Review Video Briefings
- American Cancer Society Statistics
- The Asian Pacific Islander Cancer Education Materials Web tool (APICEM)
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC's) Cancer Prevention and Control Cancer Data
- The CDC's FastStats Site
- The CDC's National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)
- Intercultural Cancer Council (ICC) Cancer Facts
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation: Poverty Guidelines, Research, and Measurement
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP): Health Literacy Improvement
- The Office of Minority Health: Minority Population Profiles
Resources for Patients and Families
The following are useful links for patients and families seeking information about cancer and cancer care for racially and ethnically diverse audiences. Find additional resources for patients and families on the NCI Cancer Topics page or in NCI Publications.
- Hormone Therapy for Breast Cancer: Questions and Answers
(Spanish: Terapia hormonal para el cáncer de seno)
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer
- NCI's Breast Cancer Home Page
(Spanish: Cáncer de seno (mama))
- Oral Contraceptives and Cancer Risk
(Spanish: Las píldoras anticonceptivas y el riesgo de cáncer)
- Surgery Choices for Women with DCIS or Breast Cancer
(Spanish: Opciones de cirugía para mujeres con CDIS o con cáncer de seno)
- Understanding Breast Changes: A Health Guide for Women
- What You Need to Know About Breast Cancer
(Spanish: Lo que usted necesita saber sobre el cáncer de seno)
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) and Cancer: Questions and Answers
(Spanish: Virus del papiloma humano y el cáncer)
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccines: Questions and Answers
- Pap and HPV Testing: Questions and Answers
- Understanding Cervical Changes: A Health Guide for Women
(Spanish: Significado de los cambios en el cuello uterino: Guía para la salud de la mujer)
- What You Need to Know About Cervical Cancer
(Spanish: Lo que usted necesita saber sobre el cáncer de cérvix)
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Home Page
(Spanish: Cáncer colorrectal)
- Tests to Detect Colorectal Cancer and Polyps: Questions and Answers
- Clear Pathways: Winning the Fight Against Tobacco
- What You Need to Know about Lung Cancer
(Spanish: Lo que usted necesita saber sobre el cáncer de pulmón)
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test: Questions and Answers
(Spanish: Análisis del antígeno prostático específico (PSA))
- Understanding Prostate Changes: A Health Guide for Men
- What You Need to Know About Prostate Cancer
(Spanish: Lo que usted necesita saber sobre el cáncer de prostáta)
- Learn About Clinical Trials
(Spanish: Guía para entender y participar en estudios clínicos)
- Clinical Trials Slide Programs in Spanish - La historia de José y Ana
Clinical Trials Slide Programs in Spanish - Conversemos un Rato
- If You Want To Find Ways To Prevent Cancer...Learn About Prevention Clinical Trials
(Spanish: Si piensa que no hay forma de prevenir el cáncer…Conozca los estudios clínicos)
- Providing Your Tissue For Research: What You Need To Know
(Spanish: Lo que usted debe saber antes de dar sus tejidos para investigación médica)
- Taking Part in Clinical Treatment Research Studies
Coping and Survivorship
- Chemotherapy Side Effects
(Spanish: Consejos para pacientes que reciben quimioterapia)
- Eating Hints: Before, During, and After Cancer Treatment
(Spanish: Consejos de alimentación: Antes, durante y después del tratamiento del cáncer)
- Facing Forward Series: Life After Cancer Treatment
(Spanish: Siga adelante: la vida después del tratamiento del cáncer)
- Hospice Care
(Spanish: Servicios de atención al final de la vida )
- Pain Control: A Guide for People With Cancer
(Spanish: Control del dolor: Apoyo para las personas con cancer)
- Radiation Therapy Side Effects
(Spanish: Consejos para pacientes que reciben radioterapia)
- Anyone Can Get Skin Cancer
- Clear Pathways: Winning the Fight Against Tobacco
- Down Home Healthy Cooking: Recipes and Tips for Healthy Cooking
Hispanics & Latinos
Links to more than 160 resources in Spanish, including fact sheets, patient education booklets/pamphlets, videos, technical reports, and meeting summaries. Visit NCI Espanol for more information in Spanish.
- Radioactive Iodine I–131 and Thyroid Cancer: An Education Resource
Addresses Native Americans concerns about I-131 fallout from the Nevada tests and its relationship to thyroid cancer.