New on NCI Websites for October 2016
, by NCI Staff
NCI’s cancer information products are constantly evolving and growing, so periodically we provide updates on new content of interest to the cancer community.
NCI Acting Director Thanks Vice President Biden for Cancer Moonshot Leadership
NCI Acting Director Douglas R. Lowy, M.D., wrote an open letter to Vice President Biden thanking the Vice President for his commitment to and leadership of the Cancer Moonshot. The letter accompanied the release of the Cancer Moonshot Blue Ribbon Panel's final report.
The Cancer Moonshot Task Force also released its report this month. The Task Force report describes the accomplishments and plans launched during the first year of the Cancer Moonshot and provides an implementation plan for future administrations to continue momentum under the Cancer Moonshot.
New Early Detection Research Network Grants Issued, Partnership Established
NCI's Division of Cancer Prevention (DCP) awarded 18 grants this summer to continue biomarker research conducted by the Early Detection Research Network (EDRN). EDRN is a national network of research laboratories and centers that cooperate to accelerate the development of useful biomarkers of cancer risk, detection, diagnosis, and prognosis. Learn more about these new EDRN grants on the DCP website. This video provides more information on how EDRN is supporting the search for biomarkers of early cancer.
Additionally, EDRN recently renewed a partnership with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). JPL uses machine learning algorithms to compare astrophysical similarities in galaxies, and EDRN is adapting the technology to recognize similarities within cancer data to identify potential cancer biomarkers.
Breast Reconstruction Fact Sheet Extensively Revised
NCI's fact sheet on Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy has been completely overhauled, including new information on reconstruction techniques and more reader friendly language.
International Collaborations, Investments Launched as Part of Cancer Moonshot
NCI has entered into 10 new Memoranda of Understanding and Memoranda of Cooperation to advance international cancer research and care. The activities to be pursued under these agreements will focus on advancing precision oncology, funding collaborative research centers to address cancer disparities in low- and middle- income countries, and strengthening existing U.S. bilateral science and technology engagements around cancer. Vice President Joseph Biden announced these new cooperative ventures at the United Nations Foundation's Social Good Summit on September 23.
New and Revised Center for Cancer Research Websites
NCI's Center for Cancer Research (CCR) recently launched a new website and revised two others to better share information about their programs and operations.
- The Center for Advanced Preclinical Research (CAPR) collaborates with researchers both within and outside of NCI to develop, use, and disseminate reproducible preclinical practices that may help guide clinical research toward improved cancer patient management.
- CCR’s Comparative Oncology Program explores the biology of cancer and assesses novel treatments for humans by treating pet animals—primarily cats and dogs—that have naturally occurring cancers.
- The CCR Office of the Director provides both organizational and scientific leadership for the center. The office's new web page highlights CCR's senior management team, deputy directors for both basic and clinical research, and CCR's Science Board.
Videos Feature NCI Research and New Research Directions
In the past few months, NCI has produced a number of new videos. These include:
- The Psychosocial Impacts of Pediatric and Adolescent Cancers – a recording of a Google Hangout in which a panel of experts discussed the psychological and social impacts that childhood cancers have on children and adolescents, as well as on their siblings, parents, and friends.
- NCI Outstanding Investigator Award (R35) – a video featuring Holly Prigerson, Ph.D., of Weill Cornell Medicine, who is among the first group of 62 researchers to receive NCI Outstanding Investigator Awards.
- Addressing Cancer Disparities Among American Indian and Alaska Native Populations – a video featuring three researchers who have received NCI funding to conduct research among American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
- Blue Ribbon Panel 2016 Video Collection – a group of 11 videos that discuss the findings and recommendations of the Cancer Moonshot Blue Ribbon Panel.
Tissue Donation Video Wins Award
NCI's Cancer Diagnosis Program, part of the Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD), recently won a Silver National Health Award for its video, Donating Your Tissue For Research. Through personal stories, the video discusses why tissue donation can be so meaningful to patients and medical researchers.
Funding Available for Outstanding Investigators
Investigators with outstanding records of productivity in cancer research can apply for the 2017 Outstanding Investigator Award (R35). The award offers extended funding stability to encourage investigators to continue or embark on projects of unusual potential in cancer research. Letters of intent are due by October 22 and applications are due by November 22.
Childhood Cancers Research
NCI has updated its page about Childhood Cancers Research to highlight new NCI programs that are making a difference in childhood cancer. The updated page includes an infographic illustrating how long-term investment in basic research can lead to progress against pediatric cancer.
Financial Toxicity and Cancer Treatment PDQ
A new PDQ summary for health professionals, Financial Toxicity and Cancer Treatment, examines the economic toll that cancer treatment can have on individuals and families. A patient version of this summary is being developed.
New Drug Information Summaries
Several new drug information summaries have been added to the NCI website.
- The JEB combination is used to treat malignant ovarian and testicular germ cell tumors in children.
- A combination known as PEB is used to treat malignant testicular and ovarian germ cell tumors in children, as well as extragonadal germ cell tumors outside the brain.
- The R-ICE combination is used to treat certain types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Propranolol hydrochloride is approved to treat infantile hemangioma.
Updated PDQ Summaries
Nearly two dozen PDQ cancer information summaries for health professionals have been updated recently, including:
- Breast Cancer Prevention
- Cancer Pain
- Lung Cancer Screening
- Prostate Cancer Screening
- Unusual Cancers of Childhood Treatment
To receive a complete list of PDQ summaries as they are updated, subscribe to receive email notifications from NCI.